"Sanguine Drawing"


Sanguine Drawing -Iron oxide pigments on Stonehenge 25x36 in.
This Sanguine Drawing was created with titanium white and iron oxide pigments drawn, smeared, hatched, wiped, erased and painted using an alcohol medium on a half sheet of stonehenge paper while working from the live model. It is an often returned to color for me wether I use it in ink, chalk, powder or oil.

I was first drawn to the allure of Sanguines upon seeing the British Museum's extensive Guercino Drawings from British Collections exhibition in 1991.
In this initial body of work I wanted to capture as closely as possible the line quality and emotional appeal I experienced as a viewer of Guercino's drawings. My study culminated into a body of works on paper, all pen and ink, called Drawings From the Abbey. Using Gillott #1 Nibs and Pebeo Sanguine Ink eventually combining several different brands to make a tone that more closely matched the one in my minds eye.
More information about drawing with sanguine pigment and materials can be found here.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Stephanie, your Sanguine drawings are truly extraordinary!! When I first saw the images I thought they were created by a Renaissance master. I had to read carefully to realize that you had drawn them - not surprisingly, given your masterful ability. Simply amazing.

Painting & Drawing for the Perpetual Art Lover said...

Kathy, Your blogs are fantastic and challenging, I have wanted to do your 20" challenge and have not yet made the time, (hah, that is too funny, that I have not found 20 ".) Thank you for your generous compliment, it means a lot from someone as accomplished as your self. Stephanie