Retired Palettes

Color is delicious and inspiring and the palette is where pigment and artist meet to make m a g i c with logic. Like the smells on a chef's chopping block, artist's palettes tell a fabulous story. Studying the palettes of other painters has helped me to create order out of what can easily be chaos. How many pigments an artist uses can vary from colors available at any one time, cost of a pigment or from painting to painting. These are some of my old but favorite retired palettes.
I used to do all of my mixing on the canvas, then I did most of my mixing on the palette and now I do a combination of both. I like to have available the option of lots of color knowing I can always limit my choices. After all, I live in Southern California where the light is bright and the colors are everywhere. Check out this website for analysis of how some of the great masters have inspired us with their palette magic. http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/06/20/color-inspiration-from-the-masters-of-painting/

2 comments:

Ken Goldman said...

Great start to what I'm sure will be an inspirational blog! I recognize those palettes and am glad you've immortalized them. Can't wait to read more.

Jono said...

It feels like a topographic world of mystery... a land to be revisited :-)